Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Local candidates only please
Our Client is looking for a detail oriented financial services professional with non-profit accounting experience to join their team as their new controller. Reporting to the VP, Finance and Administration, the Controller serves the Company’s mission as a support to the organization and works in close collaboration with constituents to achieve agency goals. The Controller provides leadership, supervision and direction to all accounting, treasury and financial operations and staff. This includes budget development and monitoring, financial/cash forecasting, cost benefit analysis and reporting financial results to the Senior Management Team and Board of Directors. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and staff to educate the organization on accounting procedures as well as explore ways the finance function can best support program operations. Additionally, the Controller will support leadership in developing strategies to enhance and better integrate the various organizational systems. This position will be based in the St. Louis headquarters with the ability after on-boarding is complete to work from home two days per week according to the Organization’s hybrid work location policy.
• Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
• Perform variance analysis and provide explanations as needed.
• Consistently analyze financial data and present accurate and timely financial reports
• Create budget narratives that complement financial statements.
• Maintain and contribute to the creation of accounting policies and procedures.
• Manage all audit activity and gather 990 information for external auditors.
• Assist with the annual budgeting and planning process.
• Support the VP, Finance and Administration in engaging the board's audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
• Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with program leadership.
• Manage and track the performance of invested assets and ensure consistency with policies and investment guidelines.
• Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization.
• Create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
Required Skills & Competencies:
• A resourceful self-starter that is data and deadline driven with the ability to prioritize and multi-task using solid organizational and time-management skills.
• Strong manager with emphasis on team building, staff empowerment and career development.
• Excellent communications skills with demonstrated ability to write, speak, and make presentations in an effective manner to all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
• Solid experience managing audit activities and vendors, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
• Proficient with in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint.
• Financial Management System experience, especially with Financial Edge NXT or similar system.
• Strong interpersonal, analytic, and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or similar discipline; MBA preferred; CPA desired
• Minimum of 7-10 years of progressive financial services experience in a non-profit organization, with a budget of at least $10 million; At least 3 years of direct staff supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated fiduciary experience and in-depth knowledge of accounting rules including those specifically relevant to non-profit organizations.
• A track record of continuous process improvement.
• Excellent attention to detail and able to evaluate and propose value added solutions as needs arise.
The organization offers an extensive benefits package including health, dental, 403(b), paid vacation, paid holidays, sick and personal time, life insurance, LTD and more.
For immediate consideration please forward your resume in a Word format, as an attachment to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)